New Delhi, Feb 16: The Supreme Court directed all state governments to sensitise their police personnel about its March 24, 2015 verdict which had scrapped Section 66A of Information Technology Act, so that people are not unnecessarily arrested under the struck [...]
At least 40 CRPF paramilitary troopers were killed in a terror attack while several others are battling for their lives following what is being termed as the deadliest terrorist strike in three decades in Jammu and Kashmir. [...]
Bayern, who take on Liverpool in the Champions League Round of 16 next week, were 1-0 down after only 13 seconds with a Leon Goretzka own goal, in what was the fastest Bundesliga goal for Augsburg. [...]
Narendra Modi warns of strong response after at least 40 army personnel die in suicide blastIndia’s prime minister has warned Pakistan it will pay a “heavy price” for a suicide bombing in Kashmir that killed at least 40 paramilitaries on Thursday, the deadliest attack in a 30-year guerrilla war in the region.Narendra Modi said the “blood of the people is boiling” after a car laden with explosives was detonated beside a convoy carrying 2,500 Indian security personnel on a major highway between the Kashmir and Jammu regions. Continue reading... [...]
Campaigners demand external investigation after human rights organisation dismisses their claimsProminent Indian rights activists have withdrawn their support for Amnesty India amid allegations of caste discrimination and harassment within the organisation, the Guardian has learned.The allegations include claims that staff were humiliated, ill-treated and discriminated against because of their caste, a system of social hierarchy among Hindus. Related: Amnesty International has toxic working culture, report finds Continue reading... [...]
Srinagar, Feb 16: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh made a veiled reference to the separatists and said that the security cover given to them must be reviewed. "Some elements in Jammu and Kashmir have links with the ISI and [...]
Srinagar, Feb 16: The preliminary investigation conducted by the National Security Guards in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack suggests that a mix of RDX and Supergel-90 may have been used. Supergel-90 is a blasting agent that is commonly [...]
It’s probably for the best that the man who came to collect my previous long-term car – a Maruti Dzire I used for 18 months – arrived with what would become my next long-term car; the blue Maruti Ciaz you see here. For no other reason than it made the exchange a whole lot easier. I grabbed all my stuff from one car, chucked it into the other and carried on with my life; it was great.
Oh, who am I kidding? There was a lot more to it than that. Not only because I’d grown quite attached to the Dzire and felt odd giving it up after so long, but also because I’d left so much stuff lying around it that took time to collect. In fact, not all my leftovers were physical; some were digital. Always delete your phone data from a car’s infotainment system before you give it away, folks.
And before you knew it, that oddly wide-looking boot could be seen hooking the right turn out of the gates of One Autocar Plaza, and it was gone for good.
The procedures didn’t stop there, however, as welcoming a new set of wheels also takes time. First step was a quick round inspecting the bodywork; and since this car had been a press test drive car before making its way to our fleet, it came with a few dings and scratches around the bodywork. Understandable, of course, but photographed and promptly sent to the good folks at Maruti, nonetheless. Then there was the matter of noting down the odometer readings and fluid levels, checking that all the papers were in order, putting in a fresh fuel-record card and pairing my phone with the SmartPlay infotainment – dumping all the data I’d just deleted from one car, into another.
And then onward to me being a bit unnecessary – deciding whether or not I like the rear sunblind (a cool new feature for me) deployed or not, whether to keep the rear headrests raised for passengers or lowered for visibility, and picking which of the many informative screens in the colour multi-info display (MID) I’d like the best. All these choices are likely to change in the first week of use.
A few quick first thoughts on the car, before even turning a wheel – and there are quite a few, as I’ve just jumped out of Maruti’s smaller sedan, the Dzire. This is bigger, of course, but even the seating position, the view out and the dashboard layout remind you you’re in a segment above. Personally, I prefer the shape of the Dzire’s dash, but this one does have a regal air about it and I like the new, lighter shade of faux wood. This one also has leather upholstery, which is nice. It’s still trimmed in a light cream colour, unfortunately; I can already see the carpets turning brown. There’s a lot that’s familiar too – switches, stalks, levers and the Smartplay touchscreen.
The bigger size is bound to impact my driving style. As is the fact that it’s a mild hybrid with stop-start technology; but we’ll just have to wait and see. All will be revealed in the next report. [...]
Kia Motors has taken the wraps off of its Soluto sedan. Introduced in the Philippines, the Kia Soluto is available in two variants – LX and EX.
The Kia Soluto is based on the Hyundai Reina sedan that’s sold in the Chinese market which, incidentally, is based on the last-generation Hyundai Verna that was sold in India. In terms of dimensions, the Soluto measures 4,300mm in length, has a 2,570mm long wheelbase and 475 litres of luggage space.
Feature-wise, the top-spec Soluto gets leatherette upholstery, a leather-wrapped steering and gear lever, a 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and voice commands, rear parking sensors, a parking camera with guidelines and a digital MID. Safety kit on offer includes dual airbags, ABS with EBD, child seat anchors and rear door child locks.
Powering the Kia midsize sedan is a 1.4-litre petrol engine that puts out 95hp and 132Nm of peak torque. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and a 4-speed torque converter automatic.
Kia is also offering a massive 5 year/160,000km general warranty with the Soluto. As of now, the Soluto is only being offered in left-hand drive markets so it’s unlikely that Kia will launch it in India. The Kia Soluto rivals the Toyota Vios and the Honda City in the Philippines.
Closer to home, Kia is readying the launch of its first product in our country, the SP2i SUV. The Hyundai Creta-rival is will be built at the brand’s plant in Penukonda, Andhra Pradesh where it is currently undergoing trial production. Following the SP2i, Kia’s second launch in the country is likely to be a compact SUV that will be showcased at Auto Expo 2020. The Korean brand’s third made-for-India model, a cross-hatchback, is scheduled for launch in 2021.
Top-spec Kia SP2i SUV likely to get 18-inch alloy wheels
Kia Grand Carnival: 5 things to know
Kia SP SUV to get sporty turbo-petrol variant [...]
New Delhi, Feb 15: At least 44 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were reportedly killed in a major attack on a CRPF convoy in Awantipora in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district today. Around 40 have been injured in [...]
New Delhi, Feb 15: Let us now have a look at weather forecast for Bengaluru, Delhi, Bhopal, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal and Uttarakhand on February 16. Bengaluru: a north-south trough is extending from East Bihar up till Andhra Pradesh. [...]
New Delhi, Feb 15: At least 44 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were killed after a suicide bomber rammed his SUV, laden with 300 kilograms of explosives, into a CRPF bus on the Srinagar-Jammu highway in Kashmir's Pulwama district. Scores [...]
Uttar Pradesh: Still room for other friends [...]
Mandate 2019: Pollscape [...]
EVM brouhaha was stage managed, says CEC Sunil Arora [...]
The inheritance of loss [...]
Sanjoy Sachdev helped scores of Indian couples marry across cultural lines, and against family wishes – but police are asking if he was a fraudIt was a world-famous charity dedicated to rescuing star-crossed Indian lovers. For the past nine years, using a network of secret safe-houses across India, Love Commandos sheltered thousands of young people seeking to marry outside their caste, religion or clan – and who feared their families might kill them for it.Sanjoy Sachdev, the organisation’s chairman, became one of India’s most celebrated activists. Bollywood star Aamir Khan interviewed him on television. International clothing brand Bjorn Borg raised money for his group. Filmmakers and journalists found the craggy, chain-smoking activist who could quote Robert Frost irresistible. Related: Founder of India's Love Commandos NGO held over extortion claims Continue reading... [...]
Aligarh, Feb 15: A Kashmiri student from Aligarh Muslim University has been suspended for his objectionable tweet on Pulwama attack and an FIR has been registered against him. The student has been identified as,Basim Hilal, a student of Aligarh Muslim University. [...]
New Delhi, Feb 15: US President Donald Trump has in the past blown hot-and-cold over Pakistan's support for terrorists despite taking help from the US and doing nothing to eliminate the menace. He has also spoken in favour of [...]
New Delhi, Feb 14: The terrorists might have got the information about the movement of a large number of CRPF personnel in Pulwama district which led to the high number of casualties, officials suspect. The deadliest terror attack on [...]
New Delhi, Feb 14: Experts of the anti-terror commando force National Security Guard (NSG) and investigators of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) are being sent to Jammu and Kashmir to join the probe into the terror attack in Pulwama in which [...]
Chelsea had taken a 2-0 lead in the first leg, but a quick Malmo counter-attack 10 minutes from time allowed them to go into the return leg with a glimmer of hope. [...]
The 31-year-old's view contrasts that of team's coach Trevor Bayliss who advocates turning down the microphones to protect players. [...]
The French forward had put his disciplinary problems aside in the last two months, carving up opponents with his unpredictable dribbles and forming a profitable trident with Messi and Luis Suarez. [...]
New Delhi, Feb 14: The dastardly terrorist attack in South Kashmir's Pulwama which left around 40 CRPF personnel martyred was condemned by countries across the globe. Nations such as the US, Russia and France asserted that they stand with India in [...]
Formula 1’s launch season is well underway, with just over a month to go before the 2019 season kicks off in Australia, and McLaren is the latest team to pull the covers off its 2019 car.
McLaren’s iconic papaya orange colour continues to dominate the Renault-powered MCL34’s livery, with the car now featuring new blue elements, which McLaren states are a nod to the team’s broader racing heritage. The car will make its on-track debut at the first pre-season test at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in Spain next week.
This year, McLaren will field an all-new driver line-up for the first time in 12 years. Carlos Sainz has joined the team, after previously driving for Renault, with F1 rookie Lando Norris partnering him.
“The MCL34 is the result of an immense amount of hard work and dedication throughout our team. We’re all committed, motivated and united in our ambition to return McLaren to competitiveness, and the MCL34 is only the start of this process,” said McLaren Racing’s CEO Zak Brown.
“We have a fresh driver pairing, who together represent the new generation of Formula 1 talent, and are an integral part of the team and our collective effort to advance McLaren forward.”
In an effort to re-establish itself as a contender for race wins, McLaren has made some key new signings – former Toro Rosso technical director James Key will now serve as McLaren’s new technical chief, while former Porsche World Endurance Championship boss Andreas Seidl has been appointed as the team’s new managing director. [...]
Audi has revealed the first official sketches of its Q4 E-tron concept ahead of the car’s unveiling, which is due in March at the Geneva motor show.
It has not yet been made clear if this concept directly previews the same Q4 (expected to launch later this year) which has already been spotted in camouflage undergoing winter testing. It does, however, provide some insight into the next generation of Audi's electric models following the E-tron SUV and E-tron GT sports sedan.
The sketches show a compact SUV with coupé-like styling, an expansive front grille and illuminated E-tron branding on the front bumper and side sills. The car seems to have traditional door mirrors instead of the system of digital cameras and interior touchscreens which were offered on the E-tron SUV. Audi’s Matrix LED headlights seem to be featured as well.
A sketch of the car's interior shows a driver-focused dashboard that borrows elements from the new and recently launched Q3, with buttons largely removed in favour of touch-sensitive screens and panels.
The production of the Q4 E-tron is expected to begin in early 2021 – a year after the standard Q4 model is due to go on sale.
Audi e-tron SUV video review
Audi e-tron review, test drive
Audi India sales decline 18 percent in 2018 [...]